This program is a partnership between Advance Diversity Services (ADS) and Beverly Hills Girls High School. The position will provide homework help for newly arrived migrant and refugee students aged 12 – 18 attending Beverly Hills Girls High School, many of whom have a low level of English.
We are looking for volunteers with teaching experience, or are studying a course related to education, to assist students one-on-one, or one-on-two, with high school subjects.
Students will be bringing to the sessions their own work that they need assistance with, and volunteers will be expected to assist them to the best of their abilities.
Volunteers will also be expected to make basic but accurate records of the work completed after each session.
Location: Beverly Hills Girls High School, Broadarrow Rd, Beverly Hills NSW 2209
- Ongoing – minimum four months
- 2 – 4 hours a fortnight – from 3:00pm
- Plus occasional additional trainings, meetings and performance appraisal, when required
Activities & Tasks:
- One-on-one, or one-on-two, educational support with students
- Learning materials and resources will be provided by Beverly Hills Girls High School
Skills & Requirements for this role:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Sensitive to the needs of people from culturally and linguistically diverse and refugee backgrounds
- Sensitivity, patience, and willingness to learn
- Friendly manner and ability to build a rapport with students, staff and other volunteers
- Working with Children Check
- Report any concerns about students’ well-being to your relevant supervisor
- Not attend the program under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Dress appropriately
- Where possible, notify ADS Youth Worker in advance of absence
- Adhere to and follow all of ADS and Beverly Hills Girls HS policies and procedures
- Only duties arranged by ADS Multicultural Youth Worker
- To keep private information, gained as part of the position confidential
For more info please contact Salvin Kumar on (02) 9597 5455