This position will assist with the ongoing development and implementation of the Cultural Hub at Advance Diversity Services. The Cultural Hub supports migrants, refugees and asylum seekers to develop their creative arts skills and knowledge for business development and employment pathways.
Activities and Tasks:
- Organising training based on the needs expressed by Cultural Hub members
- Working with Cultural Hub members and ADS staff to coordinate events/activity bookings and trainings
- Maintaining an up-to-date database of Cultural Hub members
- Liaising with stakeholders (e.g. other community organisations and government departments) to coordinate Cultural Hub bookings for events/activities
- Preparation and distribution of promotional materials relating to Cultural Hub
Working with newly arrived migrants, refugees and humanitarian entrants
Working with newly arrived migrants, refugees and humanitarian entrants can be a very rewarding experience but it can also have its challenges. Some general tips for working with our newly arrived migrants, refugees and humanitarian entrants clients are:
- Be aware of cultural practices and levels of English language proficiency;
- Be aware some of our clients may have arrived in Australia with past traumatic experiences which may affect their ability to trust and form bonds with other people
- each person is unique and has their own personality;
- treat everyone with courtesy and respect;
- use clear, simple language;
- always be prepared to have a chat with our clients. It’s the best way to build rapport and trust.
For further information please contact Anthony Scerri on (02) 9597 5455 or email firstname.lastname@example.org