We are reviewing our services and practices to ensure they support people who identify with a diverse gender and/or sexuality (LGBTIQA+). We have recently become a member of ACONs Pride in Health & Wellbeing program as we endeavour to make changes to our services so that they are more inclusive of all people.
To date, Advance Diversity Services (ADS) has worked on the following initiatives to support the LGBTIQA+ community and people working with the community:
- Multicultural LGBTIQA+ Support Directory: this resource contains information related to religious groups, cultural groups and sporting groups that are specifically for LGBTIQA+ individuals, with the aim of providing assistance and social support in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. The Directory has been promoted at Georges River Council Pride Month events and is available on various websites e.g. Georges River Council, Inner West Council.
- On October 21, 2019, ADS led an LGBTIQA+ Forum partnering with ACON, Settlement Services International and Georges River Council to educate and inform community services staff who work with Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities (CALD). Over 50 people from a diverse range of organisations attended the forum which included a panel of five LGBTIQA+ CALD community members sharing lived experience. ACON also gave a comprehensive introduction to issues faced by LGBTI communities. We received such a strong and positive response to the forum that we are investigating options to offer future forums.
- We sought Expressions of Interest (EOI) from community members and representatives from organisations, service providers, community groups and ADS staff, to join an ADS LGBTIQA+ Working Group. The Working Group has now been formed and will assist ADS to improve access and equity for LGBTIQA+ clients.
- We are a member of the Welcome Here Project. The Welcome Here Project supports businesses/organisations throughout Australia to create and promote environments that are visibly welcoming and inclusive of LGBTIQ communities. Click here for more information.
- We advocate and provide support/advice by having staff representation on committees, interagencies and working groups. Some of these include: the GLISTEN Steering Committee; the Settlement Services International Gender and Sexual Diversity Working Group; and, the LGBTI Ageing Network Meeting.
For more information contact Anthony (02) 9597 5455 or firstname.lastname@example.org.