Applying for a Position at the Advance Diversity Services.
Before preparing your application, you should:
1. Obtain a job package.
2. Read the Advertisement, position description and other requirements of the position.
3. Talk to the contact person should you require further clarification or information about the position.
Preparing your application, you must:
1. Fill out the Employment Application Form and mark clearly the job reference number and Title.
2. A separate application must be submitted for each position for which you wish to apply.
3. Address the selection criteria: Write about your experience and skills for each essential and desirable selection criteria. This can be a brief paragraph or two for each criteria with a heading, which clearly outlines your qualifications, skills, knowledge and experience required for the position. If your application does not address each criteria, you may not be offered an interview as we will be unable to determine your suitability for the position.
4. Provide a copy of your C.V.
5. Referee: Your application must include the names and contact numbers of at least two current referees. One of your referees should be a current or most recently supervisor.
An interview panel comprising of 3 or 4 members will be established to cull applicants (select applicants from the written applications who are suitable to come for an interview). This panel will also write the interview questions, interview applicants, make the final decision and contact referees.
The interview panel will comprise of Advance Diversity Services management and staff members. An independent panel member from an external community organization may be invited for some positions.
Advance Diversity Services abides by Equal Employment Opportunity principles. Each applicant will be treated fairly and in a non-biased way. Where any member of the interview panel knows an applicant, that member must disclose how they know the applicant. If the relationship between the parties is a conflict of interest, and will influence the interview panel member’s ability to provide a fair and non-biased opinion, the interview panel member will be replaced as soon as possible.
Culling (Selection from written applications)
Once applications are received, and after the closing date, the interview panel will cull applicants. All applications will be treated as confidential and only members of the interview panel will view and discuss applications.
In culling applicants, the interview panel will progressively exclude:
– Those who do not adequately meet all the essential criteria.
– In cases where there are a high number of applicants who adequately meet all the essential and most of the desirable criteria, the panel will exclude those who do not adequately meet any of the desirable criteria.
Although, the interview panel has the discretion to interview applicants who may have not clearly addressed all the essential criteria, but have demonstrated potential to fulfill the criteria. This will give the interview panel the opportunity to more fully examine the applicants’ credentials.
Overseas qualifications will be considered and accepted wherever possible and appropriate.
The interview panel will re-advertise the position if there are no applicants who fulfill at least the essential qualifications stipulated in the advertisement.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be informed with reasonable notice of:
– the time of the interview;
– the place of the interview; and
– any expectations regarding examples of previous work, etc.
Interview questions will be made available to interviewees 5-10 minutes prior to the commencement of their respective interview.
The interview questions will be standard for all people being interviewed for the position advertised, and will be based on the selection criteria and the job description.
What do I bring to the interview
You must bring the following documents with you when attending the interview.
– Original qualifications that relevant to the position
– Original proof of identification documents as listed on page 2 -3 of the police check application form.
– Documents stating name changes
– Original registration and licence (as appropriate)
– A completed National Police checking service Application/Consent Form (as required)
– A valid working with children clearance number or completed working with children check application form
– Relevant proof of work entitlement in Australia.
All documents, if not in English, must be officially translated to English.
Do not send original documents with your application.
An applicant who is preferred will be decided on by the interview panel. A member from the interview panel will contact the referees of the person selected for the position.
The information received will be kept confidential and shared only with the interview panel.
If you are selected as the preferred applicant, you will be contacted by phone. We would like to know your decision as soon as possible. If you accept the offer and agree the commencement date, a formal letter of appointment including an employment contract will be sent to you.
If you are not offered the position but are considered as suitable for the position, your name will be placed on an eligibility list where suitable applicants are ranked in order of merit. In the event that the position you applied for, or a similar positions become available within 6 months, you may be offered that position.
If your application is successful, you will be informed by mail. You can contact the selection panel convenor (usually the person sends you the letter) may you wish to receive feedback that your application was unsuccessful.