Advance Diversity Services’ Volunteers Program has a wide variety of people offering their time and expertise in a range of areas across a number of programs that our Centre provides. Volunteering is undertaken in not – for – profit, community based organisations or projects and is done for no financial payment. Volunteering can provide you with many rewards and benefits such as valuable work experience; a chance to contribute to community life; a chance to make new friends; an opportunity to share your skills with others and an opportunity to learn new skills.
Volunteers play an important role in community by providing much needed assistance, skills and expertise that contributes to strong, harmonious and supportive communities. Volunteers generously share their time and effort with others; are willing and able to learn and develop new skills; enhance the capabilities of individuals and organizations and bring like minded people together to work towards shared goals that strengthens bonds between individuals and across communities. We will provide you with the support, training and assistance to make your volunteering experience as worthwhile and rewarding as possible.
Some volunteer positions may require you take undertake a Police and/or Working with Children Check. This process is free of charge for volunteers.
Some of the volunteer positions we have include:
Administration – assist with the operation and management of Advance Diversity Services administrative and office management tasks that help maintain our organisational resources and documents and assist with the day to day running of our office and programs.
Caring Calls – support customers of Advance Diversity Services who live at home alone, are house bound and do not have a lot of contact with the wider community. This position is not a counselling service, but is to provide further support to our aged care programs by matching volunteers with customers for regular phone calls to check on their welfare and improve their connection with the local community and additional support if required.
Form Filling – assist clients to complete government forms (eg Centrelink and NSW Housing) and other correspondence such as letters. This position does not provide advice about government or other community support programs. It helps clients fill in forms with their relevant information.
Language Support – This program is a partnership between Advance Diversity Services and Beverly Hills Intensive English Centre (IEC). The position provides language support for newly arrived migrant and refugee students aged 12 – 18, attending Beverly Hill IEC. Beverly Hills IEC offers a wide range of subjects in small classes with an emphasis on achieving an English level which will enable the student to function effectively in mainstream high school or TAFE courses. Beverly Hills IEC is a NSW Department of Education and Training High School.
Lifelong Learning – The purpose of the Lifelong Learning Program is to provide affordable and accessible education activities that support and benefit our clients and the residents of the St George and Sutherland area. Programs that promote the arts, literacy, information exchange, skills development and cross cultural dialogue and connections will be given priority.
How to Apply
1. Obtain a copy of the Volunteer Application Form from Advance Diversity Services, 552 Princes Hwy, Rockdale, or phone us on 9597 5455 and we can post one to you, or download the form Volunteer Application Form
2. To find out more about the positions available, contact us to discuss further and/or ask for a job description for the position you are interested in.
3. For assistance with filling out forms or for more information about the Volunteer Program, speak with the Volunteer Program Coordinator.
4. Completed forms are to be returned to us in person to Advance Diversity Services, 552 Princes Hwy, Rockdale, or by post to PO Box 381, Rockdale NSW 2216 or emailed to [email protected]
5. Once your application has been processed, we will contact you to discuss your placement further.
6. If there is not an appropriate position for you within Advance Diversity Services, we will assist you with finding other volunteer opportunities in the local area.